Labels

Musical Inspiration


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 9: Imagination and Being a Writer

I figure that before I make the same mistake that I did yesterday, I should write now before I get far too drowsy to do so. Besides, this is a good way to procrastinate eh? I much prefer talking about my novel than thinking about my essay that's due tomorrow...sigh...anyway I digress...

Today I thought I'd talk about what I think it takes to become a writer...and to sum it up in one word what I think it takes to be a writer is: imagination. In order to become a writer you don't need a fancy degree or a vast array of knowledge of words. All you really need in order to be a great writer is an imagination. You can't be a writer if you can't imagine a world outside of the reality that you live in. How can you expect to be an effective writer if you are not able to think outside of the box? The simple answer to that is you can't. You can never be a writer if you suppress your imagination. Rather, you need to let your thoughts flow and your heart open to the ideas that float around in your head. Why stop such an amazing process? Imagination is the key to creativity. Without it your world is bland and stale.

But let me just say, that beyond having an imagination, you must continually cultivate that imagination. Never be afraid to express yourself and let your creativity flow. Never allow negative critics to tell you that you'll never have hope to become anything. Prove them wrong by simply writing. Do what you love. Give no thought to the possibility of being a published writer. Becoming published is not a mark of your talent. If you truly love to write, it will not matter whether or not you become rich and famous, you will simply write for the joy of it.

At least that's what I have to say on the subject...later I hope to have a snippet available to view...and yes I know I promised that I would post something the other day...can I claim a headache on that one? Yes? No? oh well....

Sincerely,

The Novice Novelist

No comments:

Post a Comment