Labels

Musical Inspiration


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 3: Music

I’ve noticed that everytime I listen to the radio certain songs come on and really call to mind certain portions of my book. Isn’t it interesting that music can really increase your creativity and allow for thoughts to flow into your mind easier…well at least that’s what I’ve noticed about myself sometimes.




Music, for me, is important to how I express my creativity. It’s amazing to note that pictures can be conjured up whenever I listen to music and it seems that certain pieces of music also allow me to understand the emotions and feelings that I’m trying to express within my story. And, in a way, music is a way for me to express my own emotions. In a way it allows me to connect with my characters on a deeper level.



One song that really has influenced my writing is Yiruma’s “River Flows In You.” This song is amazing. The piano’s almost sad resonance really strikes me and I see my characters: Jenna and Adam dancing together, with the forboding undertones of separation. The music speaks of a deep emotional connections, but the knowledge that things won’t last forever. And if you know anything of my story you know that the entire emotional undertone of the story is this sense of loss and the fear of making relationships. Sad huh? Yeah I thought so too. Sometimes it’s hard for me to write because the emotions that my novel exudes and the emotions that my characters have to feel really tend to influence my own mood and attitude.



Anyway, that’s all I’ll say on that subject…I admit it looks as though I’ve been rambling…but before I go, I will leave you with a little piece of a scene that I’m starting to work on.



I brushed a lock of hair from his forehead, my tears spilling onto his cheeks.



“It’s going to be alright. I’ll take care of this I promise,” I choked out.



Adam gave me a tired smile, the edges of his mouth tightened from the pain. He raised one of his hands and brushed along my cheek.



“Jenna, it’s not going to be alright. But I wouldn’t have changed it anyway. Living a few millenia without you was never happiness. And now that I’ve experienced so much in such a short time, I can accept that it’s finally the end for me. I-I'm only sorry that I didn't get more time with you. I love you.”



A sob escaped my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment