Labels

Musical Inspiration


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, July 29, 2010

An update of sorts...

Here's a little snippet from chapter 4 of my novel...I hope that I can get around to explaining how this whole story goes so you poor readers aren't completely confused! But it may take just as long to explain it as it does to write the entire thing! Hehe...I'll work on it to the best of my ability, but until then I hope you enjoy your little piece of my novel.

-The Novel Novice

“Ugh!” I growled at my ceiling. All this thinking was making my headache worse. I was not relaxed in the slightest. I needed to relax and soon, or my headache would compound and then I’d be even more upset and angry. That wouldn’t work well for me if I was going to function tomorrow at school and work.



“Just forget about everything Jenna,” I murmured quietly closing my eyes once more, striving to even my breathing, “Just take deep breaths and forget everything.”


I continued to chant that mantra in my head blocking all other thoughts from creeping up to the forefront of my mind. If I could keep my mind blank I’d be okay.


After a few moments of refusing to think, I felt the tension in my body melt away. Once I was aware of this I turned my focus to the pleasant feeling of simply relaxing, something I hadn’t done in a long time. I had to admit that it felt good. And as the pain in my head slowly eased, I felt myself relax further, and the need to chant my mantra slowly ceased. I realized I was falling asleep, but by this time I was too far gone to prevent it.


“I’m so sorry Ann. I should have protected you better. I should have protected our family. Jenna. I love you both so much” my father murmured from the driver’s seat of the car. I couldn’t see his face, but he pain was evident in his voice. He was anguished.


“Don’t be sorry Jeremy,” my mother murmured in what appeared to be a resigned sigh, “I knew the risks and I stayed because I love you. It’s not your fault.”


Something was tickling the back of my mind; warning signals were blaring, but I couldn’t put my finger on what was going to happen.


“Stay hidden Jenna, and whatever happens, don’t make a sound,” my mother whispered lovingly, a sob choking her words. She looked terrified and her green eyes were clouded with tears, “I love you baby. I always will.”


I wanted to protest to their requests, but my mouth wouldn’t work. Dread flooded through me. Something bad was going to happen.


Before my brain could process what was happening, two loud shots rang out and my mother’s strangled cry echoed in my head.


“Jenna!”


I shot up from the bed with a strangled gasp, panting heavily. Beads of sweat were running down my face, my heart was pounding wildly. I fought furiously to close the memories behind the wall in my mind, willing myself to forget. I needed stay calm.


“Are you alright Jenna? What happened? I couldn’t wake you.” I jumped at the sudden questions. Adam was kneeling next to my bed worry etched on his face. I had forgotten he was in my house.


“Y-yeah,” I nodded my head and stuttered a reply still trying to calm my thundering heart. He didn’t look convinced, “Just a bad dream.” I continued, suppressing a snort. That had to be the understatement of the century.


Adam still didn’t seem to buy my story instead he looked strangely sympathetic. However, rather than question me further, he quickly changed the subject and sent me a grin, “Well it seems as though you’re doing a bit better. A stupid concussion can’t seem to keep you down.”


I sent him a glare, “Yes indeed I am oh grand and gracious stalker, now would you mind leaving my bedroom and give me some privacy? Weren’t you ever taught that it’s rude to invade someone’s personal space?”


I knew I was being a little harsh on him. He was only doing what he had promised. Plus he was trying to lighten the obviously tense mood, but I couldn’t shake the heart-stopping fear that my dream had caused to wrap around my mind. He’d never understand that. I needed him to leave quickly. I needed some space.

No comments:

Post a Comment