Labels

Musical Inspiration


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, August 16, 2010

Snippet of Chapter 5

Well I finally finished chapter 5 of my novel. Yay! Right? Well once again I must note that when I specify that I've completed something I really mean that I've completed the bare bones of the chapter. And I'm not going to go back and enhance the chapter until I am able to get the full novel out on paper. Or at least that's what I intend to do.

Something I realized that I need to work on is developing more of the inner monologue that Jenna has. I know I've put a lot of conversation in there because I've felt that I don't want to get too boringingly descriptive with everything. But now I realize that maybe I need to add more description and inner dialogue. And that's sort of what happened to this chapter, and it kind of makes me happy to write it. I think I prefer to write Jenna's thoughts more so than her actual interactions with the world around her. And something else that I've noticed is that when I'm able to figure out Jenna's thoughts, the conversations between her and Adam, seem to flow out much easier.

But anyway, here's a little piece from chapter 5. A little background to make things a little less confusing. Adam refuses to leave Jenna alone and is walking her to class...

“Jenna wait up!” I froze, suppressing a groan of aggravation, as a voice rang out from my left. Turning hesitantly, I spotted Andrea making a beeline towards me, her perfectly styled hair bouncing as she clamored through the crowds of people.



Coming up to me she gave me one of her winning smiles, “Hey Jenna! I didn’t see you yesterday at work. I hope you’re feeling better!” She chirped happily. I watched her sneak a peek behind me at Adam, who stood clutching my book bag. Her eyebrow rose in surprise at my companion and her smile grew larger.


“Uh yeah, sorry about missing work,” I murmured awkwardly trying to ignore her obvious interest in Adam’s presence, “I sort of had a rough day yesterday and was ordered to stay home and rest.” I made a face. I sounded pathetically stupid right now.


“Oh that’s too bad, I’m glad you’re feeling better though!” Andrea remarked lightly, her eyes still glued to the figure standing behind me. I turned slightly so that I was facing both of them. Her actions made it quite obvious that she care a great deal about my health and well-being, especially when attractive men were following me around. I bit back the sarcastic remark that was on the tip of my tongue. Andrea merely continued to stare flirtatiously at Adam, completely ignoring my presence. Adam returned her smile with a cheeky one of his own.


“Actually the fault was entirely mine about yesterday. You see I sort of caused an accident here on campus with my rude behavior and I ended up giving Jenna a rather nasty concussion,” Adam addressed Andrea. I wanted to die.


“Oh!” She replied, a dreamy look crossed her face. I wanted to gag, “Well I’m glad you’re making sure she’s okay now. What a noble thing to do.”


“I feel a deep obligation to the situation and Jenna has been so gracious about the whole situation,” He remarked sending her a winning smile. I heard her give a quiet dreamy sigh and vaguely wondered if Adam had heard her. I suppressed a giggle at that reaction.


I quickly checked my watch and noticed that it was getting rather late. I needed to be at class within the next ten minutes to make it on time. I glanced at Adam and Andrea. Neither was saying anything, but both had smiles on their faces. Andrea looked love struck; Adam looked merely polite.


“Uh well, I guess I’ll see you around Andrea, I really need to get to class,” I muttered after a moment of silence. I didn’t want give Andrea a chance to get too acquainted with Adam. Andrea’s gaze snapped back to me and she smiled again, but there was amusement and questioning in her gaze.


“Oh yeah of course!” She giggled, “I’ll see you around Jenna,” she turned to Adam, “And I guess that I’ll see you around too…?”


“Adam,” He remarked drily, “And I hope to have the opportunity to meet you again, especially since you seem to be a dear friend of Jenna’s.”


“Oh yes of course! Jenna and I are like best friends! We even work together. It’s great. You should totally come by sometime and have lunch or something!” She babbled on, clearly dazzled by Adam’s smooth talking antics.


“I’d like that very much,” he murmured in response, “Jenna has been anxious to introduce me to all her work friends.”


If I could have crawled under a rock at that moment I would have. Here Adam was openly flirting with Andrea, giving her the impression that he and I were far more than what we appeared! And what we appeared was even further from the reality of what our relationship actually entailed. Ugh the stupid insufferable conceited man!


I silently fumed as Andrea giggled coyly in return and scurried away, but not before sending me a meaningful glance. It clearly stated ‘I want details!’ and I knew that I’d have some explaining to do at work tonight. But how could I explain that there was literally nothing going on between Adam and I? More importantly would she even believe me, or would she think that I was downplaying the whole situation in order to keep some privacy I my relationships? Either way, my life was now more complicated than I wished it to be and it was all due to Adam’s continual presence. I huffed in annoyance as I moved towards my class again, Adam following faithfully behind me, chuckles rumbling in his chest at my situation.


“Do you even care that you’re completely screwing with my life right now?” I muttered darkly, moving at a rapid pace up the stairs towards my classroom, “Now she thinks that we’re either together, or that I have a new hot guy friend that I want to introduce her to.”


“Ah so you admit that I’m good looking then,” Adam remarked. I stopped and sent him a glare, my cheeks igniting.


“No I believe you’re an idiot sent to torment me. Can’t you just find someone else to be creepy around?”


“I’m afraid not my dear,” He whispered stepping closer. Handing me my bag he brushed his fingers across mine. I jerked away and my eyes narrowed at his forward behavior. He only chuckled at my response, “I’ll see you after class darlin’.”


He turned swiftly on his heel and headed back down the stairs. I felt the stares of my fellow classmates as they headed past me into the classroom. I simply stood there, watching Adam descend the steps and walk out the door.


“I’ll definitely have to start avoiding him,” I murmured shaking my head. Turning towards my classroom, I quietly walked in and took a seat in back, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment