Labels

Musical Inspiration


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, January 14, 2013

Updates Galore!

Well I have some great news! The first draft of my book is almost finished! Hooray!

Now, here's a little snippet of a scene I've been writing. Once again, it's very rough, but I hope you understand the concept of the conversation in context to the entire story as a whole. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I digress...here's the update. I hope you like it!

Letting out a huff of air I flopped on my back, avoiding looking at Adam’s face, “Alright then, start talking.”
                “It’s complicated Jenna. I’m sorry you feel overwhelmed. But, can I say that I never intended for you to get mixed up in travelling with me. I was only sent to protect you-“
                “Whoa whoa whoa, back up a bit,” I grumbled, “Let’s get back to explaining things first. You already lied earlier about your “lifestyle” so  I deserve an explanation. And it had better be a good one. Then we’ll talk apologies.”
                Adam sighed, “Alright, what can I answer for you?”
                “Who were those men?” I turned facing Adam again. He was hunched over, his knees tucked under his chin, staring at the expanse in front of him.
                “They were workers…” he trailed off, glaring in front of him.
                “Workers for what?”
                Letting out a frustrated huff, he turned to me. “They don’t really have a name Jenna. They’re an organization sent out to destroy history.”
                “What do you mean destroy history? This isn’ t making sense. And why would they need me in order to supposedly destroy history?” His explanations were a bit absurd.
                “Listen Jenna,” He layed down next to me, “Let me just explain things one at a time alright. It’ll be easier that way. “
                “But-“
                He cut me off again, “No. It will only confuse you more. Just listen.” When I nodded my he turned his gaze upward, avoiding my face. “I’m sure your father told you all about time travel when you were young correct?”
                “How did you…?”
                “It doesn’t matter right now. What matters is that he told you that you are needed to complete the project. Your father was a time traveler. I’m a time traveler too. That’s why we’re here in France, in the early 18th century to be precise. You see, your father was working for an organization,” he sneered at the word, “that was attempting to rewrite history. Travelers cannot alter the history of time, but are merely observers. These men wanted to try to change all that. Your father thought that it might bring peace to the centuries that had been riddled with war and contention. His ambitions were good.”
                He stared at me for a moment, going silent. I wanted to say something, but my mouth wouldn’t work.
                Adam breathed a deep sigh, “that’s when things got complicated. Your father met your mother and they fell in love, making him mortal. But, he continued researching, even using his own mortality as a possible solution to the plan. And he was successful…to a degree.”
                “A degree? What does that mean?” I asked, confused.
                “It means that he realized the true intention behind the research he was doing,” Adam faltered, “and the price that would be paid.”
                “You aren’t making sense,” I blurted.
                “I realize that, but let me finish alright?” I nodded my head slowly in resignation. “Your father began to understand that a mortal’s blood allows for more control over time travel. Instead of just traveling, you could now change time, alter it to suit your purposes. And that’s where the problems came in.”
                “What do you mean?” I asked.
                “When you start to alter time, it begins to collapse. Certain key events must occur in order to prevent the timeline from shattering. But the facility didn’t agree. They wanted to change events, rule the timeline. They needed the key that your father had.”
                “So, that’s why they..?” I trailed off swallowing slightly, refusing to think about what happened that night to my parents.
                Adam nodded, sending me a sympathetic smile, “Yes. That’s why they sought out your father. They had learned the key component and wanted to take out the one person who was standing in their way. But, they didn’t realize that your father didn’t tell them a vital piece of information until it was too late.” He looked at me then, his face calm but serious. “It wasn’t just a mortal’s blood they needed.”
                “Then what did they need?”
                “They needed the blood from one who had a traveler’s blood and a mortal’s blood.”
                “You can’t be serious. They needed my father’s  blood in order to corrupt time?”
                “Not exactly,”
“But you just said that…” I trailed off looking confused.
“That’s why they are after you.”
                “I don’t understand.” I was confused, “I’m just human. I don’t really believe that you’re telling me the truth about this who ‘traveling’ thing, but I know that I’m just a mortal. I’ve never traveled through time.
                “But your father has. His blood flows in your veins. You’re the only link to finishing the project.”
                My mouth dropped open in shock and my head was spinning. This was getting beyond ridiculous. There was no possible way that time travel was possible! My father could not have been a time traveler. Nor could I be some mystical key to completing a project to corrupt time. It was absurd, laughable even!
                And yet….
                A lot of things started clicking when Adam started his story. I often wondered why my parents believed in traveling through time. I usually wrote them off as crazy. And, to have those creeps try to attack me today? Well, to couldn’t be a coincidence.
                I shook my head to dispel the crazy thoughts. This was absurd. Not possible. Ridiculous.
                “Jenna?” I snapped back to reality. Adam was gazing at me worriedly. “Are you alright?”
                I let out a low chuckle. “You’re crazy you know that. Do you honestly expect me to believe this…this strange absurd story of yours? My father was not a traveling human, thingy! You can’t expect me to believe that anything that you said was true.” I tried to remain calm, tried to calm the frustrations and confusion, but it wasn’t working well.
                “Jenna I was perfectly serious. I wouldn’t lie to you about this.” He was eyed me determinedly.
                Letting out a huff I sent him a glare, “If what you say is true, then I’m in danger?”
                Adam nodded, “Yes that’s why we’ve been looking out for your safety. At first no one knew what the key was to unlocking the time travel control, but once your father’s notes surfaces, we all knew we needed to find you. That’s—“ Adam chuckled lightly, “That’s why we collided that first day. I was waiting for you, but didn’t know exactly who I was looking for and when you crashed into me, I—ah—I sort of just…well…anyway, after I learned your name I realized I needed to plant myself firmly in your life. People were already starting to investigate your presence so it was important that my team kept tabs on you.”
                “Your team? You mean more of you have been looking after me?”
                “Yes. There’s are five of us. Amara, myself, Caleb, Anna, and Alex.”
                “wha—“ I was floundering for words, “why so many?”
                “It was important to keep you safe and I wasn’t going to risk something happening,” he remarked with a kind smile.
                Realization hit me then. “So I can’t go back home can I?”
                “I’m afraid not. At least not yet. Since the men know where you live and go to school, they’ll be waiting for your return. It’s far safer if you are to remain…er..travelling for awhile with me.”
                “But, how, how do I get home then? What about my job, my schooling? How would I explain this if I ever get to go home?”
                “Time will keep moving, that’s true, however I should be able to return you nearly to the moment that we disappeared. It’ll be like you never left in the first place.”
                “Then, how will we be able to return home if those men are still there, stuck in that moment that we left?”
                Adam chuckled, “Yes I realize it’s a bit difficult to understand so bear with me. Those men are also travelers and as such they aren’t limited to the linear constructs of time. They’ll know you’re gone and they’ll be pursuing you. But if we return, they will be gone.”
                “Oh,” I was still highly confused, but my head was starting to ache from all the information. It seemed so illogical and unusual to be conversing about this type of situation and yet I found myself sitting on a bright grassy hill, flushed from my many layers of clothing. The weather was certainly warmer than New York and I was positive that I had never seen this location before. Either I was hallucinating or dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment